What are K4Health Toolkits?
K4Health Toolkits are electronic collections of carefully selected information resources on a particular topic for health policy makers, program managers and service providers. They are based on a continuous publishing principle that allows them to evolve after publication to capture additional resources and to identify and fill remaining information gaps.
What is the purpose of this Toolkit?
This Toolkit shares evidence-based guidance and tools for strengthening and managing family planning logistics systems.
Who developed this Toolkit?
The Family Planning Logistics Toolkit was developed by K4Health and IntraHealth International and reviewed by the USAID | DELIVER Project, the Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition, and FHI 360. We welcome collaboration and feedback from interested organizations.
What types of resources are included?
This Toolkit is not a comprehensive library of all existing family planning logistics publications but a strategic package of resources to guide decision makers, donors, program managers, service providers, advocates, and others through the processes of developing, monitoring, or improving a family planning logistics system to strengthen contraceptive security. These resources include:
- Guides, frameworks, and tools for logistics system design and supply chain management
- Resources for developing the capacity of the supply chain workforce
- Forecasting handbooks and tools
- Information resources to assist in the procurement process
- Guidelines for storage, distribution, and waste disposal
- Indicators and tools for assessing, measuring, and improving contraceptive security
- Advocacy materials that highlight the linkages between supportive policy, adequate funding, and effective logistics systems for contraceptive security and improved health and development outcomes
Who are the intended audiences?
- Donors and policymakers will find evidence packaged in a variety of formats about the importance of ensuring consistent access to family planning through contraceptive security.
- Program managers will find information and tools to help them design, manage, monitor, and improve their logistics systems by understanding the supply chain; forecasting contraceptive needs accurately; using effective procurement practices; and establishing and following proper storage, distribution, and waste disposal protocol.
- Health service providers, including clinicians and community health workers, will find resources that define their role in the contraceptive supply chain and tools that make it easier for them to do their part.
- Communication professionals can use the Toolkit resources to explore the rationale behind, and key messages for, working to improve contraceptive security.
How do I get started using this Toolkit?
There are several ways to browse the content of this Toolkit:
- Use the purple navigation menu on the right side of the page to browse sections of the Toolkit by topic.
- Use the Search This Toolkit search bar on the right side of the page below the navigation menu to search for resources by keyword, language, publisher, or publication date.
- Use the Toolkit site map.
Within each Toolkit page, lists of resources are ordered according to publication date, and within the same publication year, resources are ordered alphabetically. Click on the title of the resource for more information about it, or click on the full-text link to get direct access to the full publication. Some of the tools are readily available in an adaptable format (for example, Microsoft Word documents and PowerPoint presentations). We encourage you to alter and personalize these tools for your own use. (Please remember to credit the source).