- Mothers can increase the survival of their infants and help them grow strong by exclusively breastfeeding during the first 6 months;
- Exclusive breastfeeding is giving babies only breast milk. No water or food during the first 6 months;
- By exclusively breastfeeding, they are likely to be amenorrheic and can practice LAM for 6 months;
- Mothers must start feeding their babies at 6 months fruits, veggies, animal protein, and micronutrients;
- Mothers need to transition from LAM to other methods of family planning while continuing to breastfeed.
For specific examples of job aids and counseling cards, please see the SBCC section of the MIYCN-FP Toolkit.
For related training materials, visit the Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancy (HTSP) Toolkit training section and the Essential Nutrition Actions training guide and handouts for health workers.