Ensuring high-quality services is vital to any family planning program that provides oral contraceptives (OCs). A client who is considering starting a method needs to be informed of the most appropriate contraceptive options and then carefully screened to ensure she is medically eligible to use her chosen method.
The Service Delivery section of the Oral Contraceptives Toolkit houses counseling tools, job aids, and reference materials to help service providers perform these tasks. Many of these resources are also helpful for training service providers on OC provision and improving communication between providers and clients. These materials will help service providers:
- Counsel clients on a range of contraceptive options
- Determine whether a client is medically eligible to use OCs
- Counter myths and misinformation about OCs with effective counseling messages
- Instruct clients on how to use OCs correctly and on what to do if they miss pills
- Meet the unique family planning needs of clients living with HIV or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs)