BALANCED Newsletter Issue 2: PHE Approaches and Links to Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
The Fall 2010 issue of the BALANCED Newsletter examines the links between PHE approaches and climate change mitigation and adaptation, because of the increasing global and national attention on the growing threat of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the impacts of climate change on communities, and interventions to address these impacts.
This second issue contains five articles on:
- the broad links between climate change and opportunities for PHE projects and practitioners to address climate change in their work and vice versa—i.e., for PHE approaches to inform climate change adaptation approaches;
- an evolving institutional approach to addressing PHE and climate change adaptation at the World Wildlife Fund (WWF);
- a vulnerability assessment in Tanzania and potential links between a community-based coastal adaptation initiative and PHE activities;
- a synthesis of a Batelle Memorial Institute commissioned report by CDM International Inc. and USAID describing the state of the science on glacial melt in the Asia Near East region and how integrated approaches can help reduce climate change impacts in the region; and
- an overview of the Ethio-Wetlands and Natural Resources Association (EWNRA) PHE Project in Ethiopia which is helping to meet climate change objectives.